Frisco Texas History
It is one of the designated “Tree City USA” by the National Arbor Day Foundation. In 2014, it was listed as the top city of Best Places for Young Families in Texas. It is where the headquarters of the prominent Dallas Cowboys is located. Yes, it is Frisco, Texas.
Frisco, located on Farm Road 720 and State Highway 289 approximately twelve miles north of Dallas in Central West Collin County, was originally named Emerson. The original namesake was a McKinney banker, named Francis Emerson, who owned the farm where the location of the townsite can be found.
Emerson promised the town that he will put up a national bank if it was named after him, although the promise was not kept. It started as a whistle stop and a watering hole, along with the Shawnee Trail and later on along San Francisco-St Louis Railroad.
The name Emerson, however, closely resembled Emberson in Lamar County. This is why the place had been renamed Frisco City in honor of the San Francisco, St. Louis and Texas Railway Company, widely known to be the Frisco system when they established their post office in 1902.
Later on, the name was made shorter. Frisco was incorporated during the 1900s and heightened by the influx of nearby Lebanon and Erudia residents.
The railroad that gave birth to Frisco started in 1849 in Missouri state. A charter was granted to the Pacific Railroad Company to build a connection from the western boundary of Missouri to St. Louis. The line had become a part of the San Francisco-St Louis Railway, fifty-three years later. In 1902, a line was completed through the center of Frisco from Denison to Carrollton.
Frisco, Texas is originally a shipping point and retail for farmers and had some grain elevators and cotton gins. It is also then the home of a Farmers Cooperative Gin Association.
Twelve years after the railway towards town was established, the population was only 1,000. Electricity began its service provided by the Reinbert Electric Company. The Texas Power and Light, in 1924, bought out Reinbert and constructed a generating plant with 110,000-kilowatt capacity, just outside the town.
The population grew rapidly from 1,800 in 1970 to 3,500 in 1980. The population increase was due to the emergence of Dallas and Plano, advancements in the production of small grains, dairy products, and cotton, and newly-established aeronautical plants in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Frisco gradually became a Dallas suburb, although still a retail point for farmers.
In contemporary times, Frisco has become a home to various sporting venues, for instance, the Dr. Pepper Ballpark (a 10,600-seat stadium) hosted its first baseball game in 2003. The stadium received the Best Architectural Design Award from 2003 Texas Construction accolade.
The Dallas Stars NHL Team headquarter also located in Frisco, practices at the Dr. Pepper Arena. The North American Hockey League Texas Tornado have been based in the city since 2003, and not long afterward, the NAHL also moved its main offices in Frisco. A major league soccer team, FC Dallas (formerly named the Dallas Burn) moved their home to Toyota Stadium at the corner of Main Street, Frisco in 2005.
The Star, a 91-acre campus that hosts the global headquarters of the Dallas Cowboys, is located in Frisco, Texas. It features the Ford Center, a cutting-edge indoor football stadium that hosts different types of events, an entertainment line with shops and restaurants, a medical center, and the Omni hotel.
Fifty-six mile of biking and hiking trails, forty-three parks and over one hundred and fifty outdoor sculptures, over four million people, visit Frisco, Texas annually. Currently, Frisco is the 12th America’s fastest growing cities.